Monday, August 09, 2010

Jiminy!

I've been trying to do close to nothing lately. Presumably in recovery from the Tahoe weekend and in preparation for doing a lot later this week. Must store up energy, like in a video game!

But a few nights ago, yet another noise appeared in the middle of the night. Aaargh!

Now I have been awakened at odd hours by all sorts of strange noises, so I have a pretty good sense of what's what. That scrabbling noise outside? Raccoons. That CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK? Pinecone rolling down the roof. That chittering? Squirrels. The chick-chick-chick? The sprinklers at the apartment complex across the creek. The coughing? The neighbor in his bathroom (yes, gross!).

The other night it was a chirp-chirp-chirp. I instinctively knew it was a cricket. So I got up to shut the glass door, but it was already shut. Investigating further, it was coming from the living room! So at 3 a.m. I was prowling around with a flashlight, and found the culprit behind the computer...but he escaped behind the refrigerator! Curses, foiled again. The next night, he started chirping while we were still awake, so I pulled out the fridge and Ernest humanely trapped him and took him outside. That night was quiet, but the cricket came back the next night...and I had no sympathy anymore, so I sucked him up with the vacuum.

Sorry, cricket. Maybe if you'd worn a top hat?

1 comment:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'm not a fan of either crickets or grasshoppers. I don't like things that jump unpredictably.